International Orders are welcome
Choosing your conversion:
This is where you let me know which services you want done to your camera. If you are not sure, or have questions about anything concerning any of these services, don’t hesitate to contact me to discuss your options before ordering. There may also be other options not listed below that are available, such as custom filters installed over the sensor for astro photography.
The two basic monochrome options are:
1) Monochrome conversion retaining the IR cut filter for use as a standard light camera, sensitive to the visible light spectrum (from about 400 to 700 nm). This option best mimics film photography.
2) Monochrome conversion omitting the IR cut filter for use as a Full Spectrum camera. (350 to 950 nm). This is recommended if you want to do IR photography. You can choose a specific light frequency by using an IR filter of your choice over the lens.
An IR conversion of a specified wavelength requires installation of an IR filter at a wavelength of your choosing over the sensor, and has a longer process time. This last option reduces your options however, as you are stuck with the installed filter frequency at the time of the conversion.
There is one other option not listed, see Special Ultra-Wide Angle Lens setup at the bottom of this page to learn more. A fused silica glass cover over the sensor is also available as an upgrade for UV light photography.
Do not hesitate to ask me any questions, I would love to help you in choosing or explaining your options.
Selecting your conversion type with options
There are two types of monochrome conversions: Standard light (Visible Spectrum), or Full Spectrum (UV-Vis-IR Spectrum)
- Remove CFA from sensor (monochrome conversion)
- Remove IR cut filter (monochrome or color)
- Remove OLP/AA filter (monochrome or color) *
- Omit sensor cover for a bare sensor (monochrome only)
The following are included at no additional cost
- Install a protective window over the sensor
- Align sensor plane to lens axis
- Adjust sensor depth (back focus)
* Not all camera models have this filter, such as the R series.
International Orders are welcome
Current Pricing (7-11-2022)
- All Sony Full Frame Sensors ____ $1,200
- Standard series: 7, 7s, 7R
- Mark II series: a7-II, a7s-II, a7R-II
- Mark III series: a7-III, a7R-III
- RX1 series: RX1, RX1R, RX1R II
- Sony a9 ___ $1,300
- All APS-C Sensors ____ $1,200
- NEX series: 5, 5N, 5R, 5T, 6 & 7
- alpha series: a5000, a5100, a6000, a6300 a6400 & a6500
- Monochrome Options:
- Fused Silica protective window for UV light ____ +$75
- Sony R series IR cut filter w/o AA filter ____ +$75
- Install selected wavelength IR filter over sensor ____ +TBD
- Bare sensor; no cover glass ____ No Cost
- Color camera options:
- Full spectrum IR conversion ____ $350
Placing the order
Because of the nature and complexity of options and combinations, you need to email me with your requested services—better yet, call me. I will then send you a Service Request Form with your chosen options for you to verify and sign. This form indicates to me that you understand the options that I will perform. If not, please ask!
I will need the following information for the Service Request Form:
- Full name
- Shipping Address
- Phone number
- Camera model
- Serial number of camera (found on bottom of camera body)
- Type of conversion: Full Spectrum, or Standard
- email address
Payment will be made either via Paypal, or using a check, cashier’s check or money order. All checks should be payable to Monochrome Imaging Services, and should be sent with the camera. Once a check has cleared (it will take ten business days), the camera will be shipped to you using the address provided on the Service Request Form. A flat fee of $38 is added to all orders to cover return shipping & handling within the USA, but insurance above $900 will cost extra.
Important! Do not pay for any services until you have signed and understand the options listed on the Service Request Form.
Once the Service Request Form has been signed and verified, please ship the camera to me using this address:
Monochrome Imaging Services
5520 NE 43rd WAY
Vancouver, WA. 98661-8314
- Pack the camera well and insure it for what you think it’s worth—the insurance is up to you, of course. Please do not ship the camera in the original box, as it will not be returned, unless you are willing to pay the extra postage.
- Do not send anything with the camera; no accessories, battery, SD card, strap etc.
- You MUST require a signature by me at my end when shipping your camera.
- The US Postal Service is preferred, as they have given me the best service to date. Please do not use UPS unless you absolutely have no other options.
- Please provide me with a tracking number, as this helps with scheduling.
- Return shipping is $38 in the US and includes $900 insurance—you can increase the amount of insurance if you wish at additional cost.
Receiving your camera
Once the camera is finished, I will notify you and ship to the address listed on the Service Request Form. Once you receive the camera, use the How To menu to get started with enjoying your monochrome camera.
All the best, and have fun out there.
Daniel Morrison, Monochrome Imaging Services
All prices are subject to change without notice